The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation
is recruiting for the position of Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Intercultural and Refugee Programme Administrative Assistant
Location: Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation, Glencree, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow
Reports to: Intercultural and Refugee Programme Coordinator
Intercultural and Refugee Programme
In 2016, Glencree set up its Intercultural and Refugee Programme to contribute to making Ireland a more welcoming and inclusive place for all, irrespective of their ethnic, faith or cultural background. This programme seeks to build on Glencree’s experience in providing opportunities for people from divided communities to listen to the experience of ‘the other’, reduce prejudice, and develop constructive intercultural connections and collaboration.
The programme’s aims are to:
- Increase mutual understanding between host communities, migrants and refugees and members of minority communities
- Promote the integration into Irish society of socially excluded and vulnerable migrants, refugees and members of minority communities
- Combat racism and xenophobia, including Islamophobia and Afrophobia.
2019-2020 Project: ‘Belonging and Identity in the Second Generation: Integration and Anti-Racism Dialogues with Hard to Reach Minority Communities’
Glencree has secured funding from the Department of Justice and Equality to develop a new project to carry out dialogue work with young people (18 -30) and their parents and families, around the issues of anti-racism and intercultural integration. This dialogue work will also engage Irish people, members of other minority communities and other stakeholders. The first project actions will involve Dublin regional and national level dialogues between representatives of the diverse Muslim communities and statutory and community stakeholders to find ways to combat racism and Islamophobia and make integration of minority communities within their local communities more effective. Further actions will build new relationships with African and diverse socio economic groups of Muslims in the Tallaght/Clondalkin areas to engage them and other stakeholders in dialogues on second generation and inter-generational issues in integration.
The Glencree Centre for Peace & Reconciliation is looking for a dynamic, energetic and positive person to join our team as the part-time Administrator for the Intercultural and Refugee Programme. The successful candidate will report to the Programme Coordinator and will also work with the Assistant Programme Coordinator, Project Consultants and volunteers. This post operates in a team environment and the post holder will work collaboratively with their Glencree colleagues, attending staff and programme meetings and liaising with all departments within the organisation. From time to time the post may require an element of working unsocial hours including weekend work. A time off in lieu system is in operation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Refugee and Intercultural Programme Administrator’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Dealing with all correspondence and telephone calls for the Intercultural and Refugee Programme, replying to same on behalf of the Programme Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator or redirecting to other colleagues, consultants or volunteers
- Provide advice/assistance on a daily basis to people with queries about the Programme’s work and liaise with project participants and other stakeholders
- Organise Programme meetings, travel and accommodation and attend meetings where applicable
- Keep all project financial records, as directed by the Programme Coordinator, liaising with programme staff and the Glencree Financial Controller and funders as appropriate
- Share general Glencree administration tasks such as answering phone calls, emails and correspondence and provide administrative support relating to:
- Glencree events and operational planning and delivery
- information and data management
- database and file management
- facilities management
- office supplies
- room bookings and catering
- financial administration
- Set up, maintain and update the Programme records, databases and electronic and paper filing systems
- Assist the Programme Coordinator in compiling activity and financial reports as required by the Glencree CEO and funders
- Work with the Communications lead on updating content to www.glencree.ie and the organisation’s social media channels
- Work closely with the Communications lead, the Chair of the Board and the CEO on:
- Project launches/announcements
- Project event planning and publicity
- Project publication production
- Project PR activities
- Undertake any other responsibilities as defined from time to time by the Programme Coordinator or the CEO.
This job description is not exhaustive and may change with the needs of the organisation.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a similar administrative role
- Experience in working with the community and charity sector
- Understanding of social inclusion and integration issues
- ECDL Qualification or equivalent level of IT skills with experience of Microsoft packages and using databases
- Excellent organisational skills
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Excellent business writing skills
- Experience of office and financial management
- Experience and knowledge of social media
- Ability to work as a team but also on own initiative
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise workload
- The successful candidate will need to be eligible to work in the Republic of Ireland and have a full, clean driving licence, due to the Centre’s remote location.
- A FETAC Level 5 award in a relevant field such as Business or Office Administration or the equivalent level of qualification
- Hands on experience in a small/medium organisation in a team setting
- Experience of working with marginalised individuals and groups
- Experience of working with refugees, migrants or members of minority ethnic or faith communities.
Conditions: This is a 12 month fixed term contract, with the possibility of extension, dependent on funding.
Salary: €25,000 per annum pro rata – €15,000 for 3 days per week.
Location: The post is based in the Glencree Centre for Peace & Reconciliation, Glencree, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, Ireland, A98D635. Tel: 01 282 9711
How to apply: To apply for this job please submit a copy of your current CV along with a cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this role to email@example.com. Please ensure you include the subject heading: Intercultural and Refugee Programme Administrative Assistant.
The deadline for receipt of completed applications will be 5.00pm Monday 10th February 2020. A shortlist of selected candidates will be invited to attend for Interview.
This post is funded by: